Saturday, June 30, 2012

My 1st Day of Kindergarten!

So, I am OBSESSED with Pinterest. I found an adorable "My 1st Day of Kindergarten" frame! Although I did my fair share of stalking, I couldn't' find an easy way to create the frame so I improvised and made my own using fun crafty things from Joann Fabrics.

I have no clue who made this amazing frame...or else I would link back to it. 


Here is my final product...which took me most of today to make:

Both of these were taken from my balcony. The light in my apartment wasn't quite right. The glitter stars really do stand out :) 




Materials:

  • Foam board
  • Fiskars detail knife
  • 1 pack: 4in letters (3 in would also work)-I used black letters
  • 2 packs: Plain borders (any color will do)-I used silver sparkle. 
  • Self sticking glittery foam stars

  1. To start, I measured the foam board using my Silver Sparkle Borders. I used 3 borders per side...layering to see each of the scallops. I stapled to make sure they'd stay together.
  2. I made marks to see where to cut the middle of the frame. Trim the border to size. I left about a centimeter hanging off the ends, since I knew I would need extra room for all of the letters.
  3. Cut the middle of the frame BEFORE gluing down the borders. I learned this the hard way...

4.  Place the letters. Mark them before gluing to make sure what you need will fit. I had a tough time fitting all of "kindergarten." However, moving them and slanting them helped a bit...
    5. Once glued, I decorated the letters with glitter stars! This was the best part...and completely worth the hard work! 
The goodies I used:

I am beyond excited to use this frame with my KDG'ers in August! 




9 comments:

  1. I love the one you made!

    I think I am going to need to make one too!

    Glitter always makes things look better. Lol.


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I've been looking forward to making this forever! So happy it's done :) Hopefully it'll last for a while :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I had my kinders take a picture holding a printed sign last year. I may need to step it up with something like this. You did a really great job!
    Jennifer
    kindertrips

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your frame!! I want to make one of these too!!

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your frame came out great!! I have been wanting to make that for 1st grade this year too. Thanks for the tutorial! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! It will definitely be a good start to the year. Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this idea. Definately going to have to steal it! It's too cute! Thanks for sharing.
    I'm a new follower.

    Lindsey
    Lovin’ Kindergarten

    Come on over and check out my giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You inspired me to make my own!
    littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this idea - HOW CUTE! I just gave your blog an award. Please come on over to my blog to get more info.

    :) Amy
    http://whoooloveskindergarten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete